Silver BananaTopicReplies
+1
Banking Transition into a FLDP

js123456789

Hey monkeys, Today I came to the sad realization that I might not graduate with a full time banking offer and am trying to look for alternatives. No big deal. Gotta carry on, learn from my mistakes and come up with a backup plan. I'd come across finance rotation programs (yes, I know that they are ...

+1
Berkery Noyes Info?

PIE

Does have any information on BerkeryNoyes and if they are a known IB. For an internship, is this an established enough institution that will imrpove resume more than a BB PWM Group? Thanks http://www.berkerynoyes.com/...

+2
Capital Group, Mutual Fund

gwhope12

There is not much talk about mutual funds on this board. Does anyone know anything about The Capital Group Companies? Would an investment research position within a large mutual fund like this be a good opportunity with strong opportunities within the hedge fund community later down the line? An...

+1
Students Seeking for Advice on the Credit Suisse Asset Management internship - Any advice is highly appreciated

Shaonan Edwin Yu

Hello. I have a few questions here. Thank you for your time!! 1. I am an undergraduate student. Starting from a position at the Asset Management industry is an ideal beginning if my long term goal is to become a portfolio manager? 2. I was told "you won't really learn to value a company if you wo...

+1
Morgan Stanley Off Cycle Abroad

zyky231

Hi guys, long time lurker here...finally need some advice: I'm an american student (senior) studying in the US, and I've become really interested in Morgan Stanleys off-cycle IBD program in London. Do you guys know if MS will sponsor a Visa for an american student (basically, does it even make sens...

+1
New to CapIQ, what do you "screen"?

Loki777

I understand that analyst tend to screen capiq for potential developments in their industry. Does this just mean that they are looking at current and past data and noticing the trends? Our boutique just got CapIQ for everyone and I'd like utilize it more. Of course I know it is good for finding c...

+1
Advice for IPO case interview

Wannabeanker

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm a soon to be M.Sc. finance graduate in Europe. On Thursday I have a second interview and a case study at a boutique that mainly does IPO's for smaller companies and M&A work for private companies. The case is meant to test my strategic reasoning and ability to argue. It'...

+1
RBC: Strongest Group?

OnionRiot

Hey guys, I have an offer at RBC for an investment banking summer analyst position. I'm wondering what their strong groups are? I'm thinking about the 2 years to PE route (ideally) so I'd like modelling experience and capacity to work on big deals. If anyone has an opinion or a resource they can p...

+1
What makes a deal interesting in your opinion?

nullsumgame

This is following the "If you could have worked on any deal of the last few years, which would it be?" (no links allowed as new on the website) topic Hello everyone, this is my first post here. Did a quick search and did not find anything related but the question seems relevant - and I don't have a...

+1
6 Month Internship Programs?

moneyandmimosas

Hey All, Do you guys know of any 6 month internship programs or junior analyst programs ( I know jP has one and I applied to it today) available for those graduating this spring? Preferably at a big bank, but even boutique firms. Appreciate the help ...

FocalPoint Partners in LA?

Brawntourage

New member/former engineering major here looking to break into banking. Can anyone give any insight on FocalPoint Partners in Westwood? It seems like they hire mostly from UCLA/USC....

+1
Insight on AGC Partners?

centralpark

I have an upcoming interview at AGC Partners. Can anyone tell me more about them or what to expect? The couple old threads about them aren't very helpful....

+1
2016/2017 Investment Banking threats & trends

doggybag

Hey guys, I thought it may be helpful to share on here what are the main trends and threats for the Investment Banking industry, since this is a very common question in both applications and interviews. What I can say so far is that hot topics are: - Declining role of FICC in overall revenue perce...

+1
Query on Jefferies Online Application System

SanSan

Hello Fello Chimps, I recently applied to the Jefferies' IBD, however on the career portal I noticed that there is no option to link a cover letter to the application, but instead only allows you to upload a cover letter separately (just to the portal but not the application), which I feel it will ...

Banking to hedge fund: interview questions

fortheppl

Anyone know what kind of questions are asked at interviews. Specifically looking to know what accounting questions are most examined. Of course, realize that you need to have well thought out pitches and that you might have to do a case study etc. Not talking about that, asking about the technical...

+1
Advice for Investment Banking Summer Analyst at Global Banking Training, London

MBS30

Hey guys, I have the chance to do an summer internship program at Global Banking Training, London. It's an 8 week program, 4 weeks training and 4 weeks internship at an M&A firm in London. It's basically structured so as to train us on the aspects of Investment Banking and then use that for interns...

+1
Intern to Full time Analyst Tips

Eisman22

I have previously had two summer analyst roles at a rapidly growing financial group (went from $400mm AUM to $1bn in one calendar year) in the midwest where I got a taste of the investment research and the financial planning sides of the firm. This summer I am going to be in NYC as a summer analyst...

+1
Any Major Disadvantage to Not Knowing Much about Sports?

Entrepreneur Hero

I know this might be an unusual question. In terms of IB recruiting, how important is it to know about the latest news in sports (more specifically football and basketball)? Considering that I have not followed sports from a young age, whenever I start talking about the latest sports news, the othe...

+1
What are your opinions on Corporate Banking - FIG?

AtypicalMonkey

I've heard that its difficult to transition from as you don't learn as many transferable skills. It seems like something I would be interested in, but I don't want to do banking long term. I would like to move on to corporate finance or government finance roles after a year or so. ...

+1
How could I recover from a late start in undergrad?

1738Street

I entered undergrad thinking I was going to be a doctor and realized this past semester that that is definitely not the case. I now want to enter finance in a quantitative position but feel like I am behind the curve and am not sure how to catch up. I'm now entering the second semester of my sophomo...

+1
Two year analyst vs three year analyst program

California t

Hi, so I am aware that some banks promote you to associate after three years (call it bank A) and others after two years (call this bank B). I was wondering whether we should take this into consideration when accepting/rejecting offers? How does it work with compensation, would the third year analy...

+1
LevFin London

gators_12

Looking at a LevFin opportunity in London vs. the US. Wondering how different banks stack up in London? Additionally, any insight as to how the experience differs from being at a US bank (transaction size, complexity, quantity of transactions)? Currently at a top 4 US LevFin bank and trying to consi...

Anyone know PwC's corporate finance email format?

BBDreamin

I'm trying to get ahold of a VP there with a very similar background. This is specifically for corporate finance (not sure if they're different) I've seen a couple different: [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] ...

+2
Goldman Sachs Informational Youtube Videos

I ran into GS's youtube account and found that it actually contains a decent amount of information regarding the whole interning process, different sectors of GS, and so on. I'll include the link to the channel. It's worth checking out, but be prepared to shift through some PR BS. Link: https://www...

+1
How many times a week do you get contacted by students?

mikewagner

I have been sending cold emails to bankers. I am targetting Vice Presidents in Investment Banking. Many have come back to me to say that they receive emails from students every week so they dont have the time to commit. I was wondering, how many times a week on average do students contact you to ...

+1
JPM AM London Assessment Center

GMCG

Hey, has anyone who had an assessment center last friday for JPM AM heard back yet? People I've spoken with and myself still haven't heard back...

+1
Debt Private Placement inquiry

em257

Hi! - I just received an offer from a MM DCM team. Essentially, they serve as a broker between private companies looking to raise debt and club lenders (BDCs, PE, Credit Funds), and focus mostly on lev. loans/hy debt. Is there anyone that can tell me more about these types of groups/how they functio...

+1
Treatment of Revolver

minerva

Suppose a bank sets up a $50MM revolver with a client and suppose that the client draws $10MM of the facility right away. 1. What is the accounting treatment of the revolver from the client's perspective? 2. What is the treatment of the revolver from the bank's perspective? I.e., what is the impac...

+1
Modeling NCI in an LBO

Gordon Geico

Hi all, currently working on an lbo model and was wondering how to generally treat non-controlling interest. Is it common for the sponsor to acquire the remaining portion of subsidiaries that the target company doesn't own, or does the target company generally continue to subtract the portion of inc...

+1
Anyone gotten an interview without networking?

@RealDonaldTrump

Currently at a private capital real estate shop on the equity side--looking to transition into the CMBS space. Recently, I applied for an analyst position in JP Morgan's CMBS Originations group in NYC and immediately got one of those Hirevue invitations. Now, I pretty much just applied to apply and ...

Stock Pitch Competition on Resume

LonstedBrowry

I won two major finance case and stock pitch competitions at my university this year and I put them on my resume for IBD SA 2018 recruiting. However, one of the stocks I pitched has tanked since I pitched it even though I won 1st in the competition. Should I just not put a bullet and only write the ...

+2
London banking future after brexit

FutureBanker99

I will be graduating from a semi target by 2020 and as the banks like Nomura and Morgan Stanley are shifting their operations to Frankfurt, I am quite afraid of the future of London banking and how it's gonna affect the job opportunity. What do you guys think about London as a financial hub? I guess...

+1
Financial Modeling -- Consolidation and Linking

Christopher-Borgman

Noob problem; I have the following Operating financial model downloaded from Macabacus I'm trying to balance. I've hard-coded the data I'm pulling from a 3rd party for simplicity. Now, I have the following questions/discrepancies: 1) In the original model, there's an "Equity Investments in Affili...

+1
NYC Social Groups

MPM

Good afternoon NYC ladies and gentlemen. I would like to start a social group where people can meet, exchange ideas and foster social/professional/personal interactions. Whether you are a trader, M&A professional, in HFs or PE and so forth, everyone is welcome. Meet ups can be organized at differen...

+1
Investment Banking Job Security

sheperd99

How is the job security as an investment banker at a BB/MM/boutique or a management consultant at MBB? Do Canadian big 5 banks generally have better job security than BBs also how different is pay comparing US and CAD banks?...

+1
Kaplan Series 7 & 63 Materials

wallm100

Selling the following: Kaplan Series 7 * Study Calendar * Series 7 License Exam Manual 10th edition (PDF. Can also send the Print Manual) * SecuritiesPro QBank (2,700 Questions) * Video Library * Series 7 QuickSheet (6 page Cheatsheet) * Options QuickSheet (2 page Cheatsheet) Kaplan Series 63 * Se...

+1
Regional Office Recruiting

gawker

Hi everyone! Can anyone provide any insight about regional office recruiting (i.e. LA, SF, Charlotte) and how to approach the process, especially when companies in those specific areas don't have a campus presence? I can imagine that there could be less competition due to reduced notoriety but also ...

+1
Transaction Banking VS Investment Banking

Dealova

Hello monkeys, My finance professor just talked about the rise of transaction banking and the decline of investment banking today in class and thought about giving a quick research on the former. This is what I got: [quote] While the Dodd-Frank Act annihilated the proprietary trading function with...

+1
Undergrad Junior-Summer M&A MM Intern

Rovert3758

Hello all! New here. I'm a junior humanities major at top ivy undergrad with ~3.7 GPA. Had no luck in the BB recruiting process with only a couple [unsuccessful] capital markets interviews. Several finance clubs with 2 officer positions Sophomore summerfinance internship at F500 Ended up getting a M...

+1
Networking for Full Time - Boutique to Boutique

funderwood10

Hi, I'm going to a top boutique (think Guggenheim/Rothschild tier) this summer but I'm considering trying to get into an EB (ie Evercore, PJT, Lazard) for full time. Given the small community, and that so many of the senior bankers at these firms have worked at other firms, is it worth trying to net...

+1
RBC Capital Markets Groups

curiousss

I will be interning at RBC Capital Markets this summer in NYC, and am currently going through group selection/recruitment. I am curious as to which groups at RBC are regarded the best (i.e. doing the biggest and best deals). While group culture is going to be a big part of the decision, I also, idea...

+1
Investment Banking outlook Asia 2017

Wu_Tang Financial

One author, Nisha Gopalan, believes that investment banking especially in Asai will not be very active for 2017. You can read the full article here. Gopalan goes on to explain that [quote]With China clamping down on mainland firms doing deals offshore, 2017 probably won’t be a big year for M&A, ...

+1
Shorting Goldman Sachs stock for a quick 3 - 10% gain

LReed

I can't help but think that Goldman Sachs stock rising 30% since the Trump election is due partly to human bias rather than anything of actual material consequence. GS could not have just increased in value as a company by 30% just because of an election. I think everyone got the genius idea "I want...

+1
How do you view RBS's IB summer analyst experience?

Kiosliop13

Do you think it's as good as BB internship? I'm going to Vanderbilt for MSF this year and I have IB internship exp in RBS and another boutique. I've also worked for world bank. Do you think that's good enough to get FT IB analyst offer post msf?...

+1
EV/EBITDA Calculation in Acquisition

VanPro

If company A buys 70% of shares of company B at $10/share. Company B has EBITDA of 20 and a total of shares outstanding of 50, and a FDSO of 80. Company B has debt of 30. What is the EV/EBITDA multiple in this acquisition? Will EV/EBITDA differ if company A decides to assume the debt or do a debt-fr...

+1
Commercial Lending & LBO books

bpdallas314

Anyone have any good books/textbooks recommendations for: 1. Commercial Lending (ex. extending bank amortizations) 2. Acquisition Financing (ex. LBO's) Any help would be appreciated, I'm try to learn. I've found NOTHING on commercial lending that's up-to-date. Thank you!...

+1
How to prepare a GCM interview

cartera

Hi folks, How do you prepare for a MS GCM interview? What is it different from a IBD interview? I heard that is less heavy in technical questions but more focused on markets. But what market information should one be focusing on when preparing for the interview? Also, what sort of technical questio...

+1
IB -> Buyside. Headhunters reaching out.

TT_Lambo

Hey guys, I am a 1st year analyst at a BB bank in the West Coast and have been receiving a good amount of headhunter emails regarding preparing for buyside recruiting (private equity, hedge fund, vc, etc). They are all asking for some background informaton including an updated resume and a few act...

+1
Withdrawing and Resubmitting Application

mrblue

Hey so I applied to the Douglas Paul Scholarship Program at Credit Suisse. However, I needed to withdraw my application and resubmitted under a different email account because I had problems uploading my SAT scores. Is it a big deal if they see I withdrew and resubmitting (will they get annoyed)? I ...

+1
Advice: Fixed Income Research Intern -> IB Internship

luvs2jizz

Hello friends, I'm currently a fixed income research intern with MM bank, focusing on high-yield corporate issuers. What advice would you give to me to leverage my FI research internship experience to get an IB internship in summer 2012? Just to add on, from the information and networking I've d...

Intrepid Advisors

SHORTmyCDO

Anyone know anything about these guys in LA? I do know that they were founded by a couple of barrington advisors guys after the acquisition by WFC, but wondering if anyone has info on the firm? Curious about dealflow, experience, culture, etc.? Not too concerned about exit opps at this point, would ...

Roadshow Luggage - How to keep suits nice?

Mo

Hi Guys, This question is for the veterans, don't think a SA would be able to answer this one except if he got in through family or friends :) Anyway going on roadshow, how to keep those suits nice and not needing ironing when you arrive there and what are the top brands that are both practical ...

Interview-GS Specialty Lending Group

gofrogs08

I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this particular group? Anyone who has interviewed with them, previously worked with them, knows someone who works there, or is currently working there, any information you can provide would be great. If anyone on here currently works with th...

Best groups at BAML HK

lolsunshine

What are some of the best groups at BAML HK, in terms of exit options, experience overall? Any thoughts much appreciate....

+1
Hong Kong internship trying to move into USA

gnomeater

Hi all, I have graduating from a top-15 ranked MBA program this up coming spring, and I've interned at a top BB firm in Hong Kong. However, I am not having a lot of luck getting an offer here at USA. I was wondering if firms here in the US do not value internships in Hong Kong. I hope someone can ...

+1
Want to postpone assessment centre. Thoughts?

Touching Base

Some background: - Penultimate year from target looking for IB and Consulting internships - Applied through SEO and have been recommended to partner firms, but only for audit and tax (as consulting has already filled up, and SEO for IB haven't got back to me yet). - Got assessment centre with a Big ...

+1
Energy/Nat Res Banking in London

boshyj

I'm interested in energy/natural resource banking, but my searches have only turned up US-specific info, and I'm in the UK - I was hoping someone on this board would be able to clue me in. What's energy banking like in Europe? Who are the main players in this space in London, and which banks tend to...

Cayman Islands

hol3

legit possibilities for HF/HFOF..great weather and beach year round..biased lifestyle aside how are exit opps? ie if i wanted to get back into nyc...

+1
Group/Bank Selection- moving up the quickest

dealcomps

In general does it take longer at BB's to move up through the ranks than boutiques, or vice versa? I've also heard of people making MD by 30 in good groups too like M&A etc. does it have anything to do with the group and the age of the people in the group or if your good, it doesn't really matter a...

+1
Sell-side to Banking

jpm351

Currently a sell-side equity research analyst at a boutique - anyone see any chance I can hop to banking right now given what's going on? Any insight, advice? Thanks. ...

+2
How are imputed fees calculated at banks, why higher fees at some?

Delirium2

I notice from the league tables that certain banks like CS and UBS are consistently ranked highly on the "imputed fees" table but slightly lower on the transaction volume table. What explains the discrepancy? Do these banks charge higher fees? For example, CS was ranked 4th on the US imputed fees ta...

+1
Barclays Assessment Centre IB division, any more tips, info, insights?

felipz24

Has anyone been to a Barclays IBD assessment centre. Tips?...

+1
Length of Spring Recruiting - Process

monkeyintraining

For those who have already gone through it, how long does recruting usually go for in the spring? I know we have one or two rounds on campus and then they start bringing you down to the city for more interviews. Does this go on all semester or is it only for a brief period of time? I am at a targ...

+1
Lying about your graduation year to get an internship

JambaMan

How common is this? I'm sure people pull the whole graduating early thing and then decide they aren't graduating early after the internship. If HR finds out you are for all practical purposes fucked and the offer will be rescinded, am I correct? ...

+1
Have you heard of Williams Capitals Group?

Anonymous_fella

I 'm interested in Williams Capital group. What can you tell me about it. I'm interested in inside information, what it like to work there, exit ops, prestige and etc. Is it even considered MM boutique or is it an up and coming BB bank like Bofa?...

+1
Started internship in boutique Investment Bank (MBS/ABS). How to make the most of it?

runescape

Hi, Long time lurker. I want to thank WSO for helping me get my foot in the door with this internship. Background: top 30 school but non-target (top 10 in the nation for pre-med, engineering, CS, just not for business). Got an internship in a medium sized city (boston/seattle/baltimore). Unpaid i...

+1
Move from BB private bank/pwm trader to S&T trader?

ipodtouch

I recently got an offer for a trading role at a Bulge Bracket in Asia at their private bank/wealth management division (brokerage to be exact). My final goal is to be a trader within Sales and Trading. I was wondering, how easy is it to switch (maybe after a few years or even sooner) from PWM/PB tr...

+1
Syracuse University

agentx004

I'm going to be attending Syracuse University in the fall as a Finance major. I know that the school isn't heavily recruited, but after a Google search, I've found that many SU alumni are in top positions at Meryll Lynch and other banks. What are you opinions on the school? What should I do be doing...

Adding M&A fee to Goodwill

Crame

Would you add the m&A fee to goodwill, or would you subtract it from SHE? Or, would you expense it in OpEx?...

+1
GS experienced hire?

Chimp_and_jeez

Hi guys: I'm just working on an experienced hire application from GS's website, and was wondering if any of you have gone through the same process? 1) it doesn't seem to include a section for cover letter? so do we just not include one? 2) once your resume is uploaded it seems to only populate the ...

+1
Capstone Partners - Boston Office interview process

B9269

Hi Everyone, I am currently in the interview process for a summer analyst role at Capstone Partners (Boston Office) and was wondering if anyone has any information on how it goes. I moved on from a first round 2 on 1 phone interview and have scheduled a second 2 on 1 interview. I would like to know...

+1
Internal mobility at Citi

ibmonkey16

I'm curious of the internal mobility at Citi from risk management to front office investment banking? How about BB in general? Thanks in advance....

+1
What's harder? FT vs. Lateral

Husky32

Hey guys, It seems like most FT analysts at banks and asset management firms come from summer internships. I've also seen laterals to the very same firms at the analyst level (with 1-3 years of previous work experience) but very few analysts who started FT straight from school without having done t...

+1
Venture Capital and IB

prospectiveintern

Are there any circumstances under which a venture capital firm would need to utilize the services of an investment bank? As many examples as you can possibly think of. All input is appreciated; thank you....

+1
Deal Lingo: Advisor to the Board = Fairness Opinion?

PlusMinus

Hi there, just a quick question about the whole banking lingo.. Sometimes in articels you can read the following: Goldman Sachs was financial advisor to The Beer Company, while Centerview advised its board. Does advising the board = fairness opinion? Or is it real advisory work, which will give y...

+1
Breaking into boutique IB in London

Oracle2020

Hi everyone, Based on my research mostly from the Mergers and Inquisitions website, I learned most IBD recruiting in the US is done via campus recruiting. Anyone without an offer or for a career changer pretty much the only options to break in is networking/cold calling. I heard in the US it's a wa...

CIBC super day

zzzz123

Attended the super day yesterday with CIBC World Markets. Has anyone heard back from yet? (toronto office) HR said it should be today but I haven't heard anything.. ...

HK IBD Superdays When Do They Make Decision

princeroyce

For those who applied to HK position and are having super days this week. How long after the super day do they start to sending out offers? Also normally what % of the people at the final round will get the offer?...

+1
BB/MM Industrials Groups in NYC

CorpDev86

I'm headed to a top MBA program this fall, and one of the career paths I'm thinking about is Industrials banking - I currently work in-house (strat/corp dev) in the space. I wanted to ask the WSO community to shed insights on the various groups if they have any. I'll be 30 when I graduate, so a prio...

+1
Risk Management vs. Econ Consulting for post-MBA IBD job prospect

Shitizen

Which one is better? Risk Management (think Wells Fargo) vs Econ Consulting (think CRA) for post-MBA ibd jobs....

+1
Corporate Finance or Infrastructure Finance?

maczack113

So I have to choose between two offers, corporate finance in mid-market M&A and Infrastructure Finance, they are both with big 4 accounting firms. Let's say eventually I want to move in IB or PE, which one has a better chance?...

+1
From IB to Inhouse Consulting/Corporate Strategy/Corporate Development

gregoriusss

Hi guys, Just wanted to check if somebody has made the switch from IBD of his/her bank to the Inhouse Consulting/Corporate Strategy or Corporate Development department within the bank. Or are those "within firm exits" more uncommon? If you change after 2 years as IBD analyst to IC, will you start...

+1
Sophomore Summer Programs/Conferences

Ron Swanson

Hey, I was just wondering if there are any sophomore programs like UBS Sophomore Symposium, SRR's Future Leaders in Finance, BP's Sophomore Trading Experience. I was just looking for programs that were a few days long at any kind of finance or IB firm. ...

+1
GLC Advisors & Co.

BBnkr10

I have a first round phone interview with GLC Advisors in the coming days (with a VP). Anyone have an idea of the type of questions that will be asked during the phone interview? Any help is much appreciated -- really trying to get this job. Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks guys!...

Pages